Contact InformationOffice: Room 2401, SSC
Tel: 519 661-2111, 85018
Research AreasUrban climatology
My academic training is in physical geography and boundary layer climatology and meteorology. My current research combines surface and boundary layer meteorology and climatology with remote sensing and GIS. It focuses on the importance of the surface.
- Thermal remote sensing of urban areas and the use of remote sensors to estimate the surface temperature including the observation and modeling of anisotropic thermal emissions by rough surfaces.
- Application of thermal remote sensing to the study of surface climates.
- Modeling urban surface temperatures.
- Urban micro- and meso-climatology with an emphasis upon processes occurring within the urban canopy layer (below building roof-top level) and the interaction between the urban built form and the climate of urban areas.
- Parameterizations of urban effects for applied climatology related to building design and urban planning.
- Methods of climate measurements in urban areas, especially traverse methodologies for gathering climate data, radioactive source areas, and the variability of measurements with scale.
GEO 1300 – Introduction to the Physical Environment
GEO 2310 – Weather and Climate
GEO 3311 – Micrometeorology
Supervised Graduate Students and Theses Titles
- A. Stastny (Current) Understanding the impact vegetation has on surface temperatures within residential neighbourhoods.
- S. Claessens (2020) The role of Urban Thermal Anistropy in Urban Heal Islands
- R. Hiilland (2018) The Effect of Sub-Facet Scale Geometry on Vertical Facet Temperatures in Urban Street Canyons.
- T. Wiechers (2018) Microclimate Variability of Select Toronto Neighbourhoods Under Hot Summertime Conditions.
- M. Allen (2017) Urban surface climatology.
- D. Kuruklaarachi (2017) Green roof energy balance assessment.
- D. Dyce (2014) A sensor view model to investigate the influence of tree crowns on effective urban thermal anisotropy.
- E. Nanni (2010) Source area variations in urban snow cover and its impact on the radiation budget.
- K. Porter (2009) Multiscale Assessment of Urban Emissivity.
- M. Moscicki (2007) A comparison of modelled and measured urban surface temperatures in Toulouse, France.
- E. Krayenhoff (2005) 5 Micro-scale 3-D urban energy balance model for studying surface temperatures.
- M. Charron (2001) Microclimate and white pine seedlings around brush piles.
Publications & Supervised Graduate Students and Theses Titles
Allen, M., J.A. Voogt, A. Christen, (2018) Time-continuous hemispherical urban surface temperatures. Remote Sensing, special issue on Remote Sensing for 3D Urban Morphology, 10, 3.
Jiang, L., W. Zhan, J. Voogt, L. Zhao, L. Gao, F. Huang, W. Ju, (2018) Remote estimation of complete urban surface temperature using only directional radiometric temperatures. Building and Environment, 135: 224-236.
Joe, P. and 46 others including J. Voogt and T. Wiechers, (2018) The Environment Canada Pan and ParaPan American Science Showcase Project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 99: 921-953.
Dyce, D.R. and J.A. Voogt, (2018) The influence of tree crowns on urban thermal effective anisotropy. Urban Climate 23: 91-113.
Barlow, J., M. Best, S.I. Bohnenstengel, and 45 others including J.A. Voogt, (2017) Developing a research strategy to better understand, observe and simulate urban atmospheric processes at kilometer to subkilometer scales. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 98: ES261-ES264.
Masson, V., A. Lemonsu, J. Voogt, (2017) The 9th International Conference on Urban Climate. Urban Climate. Available online 29 July 2017 (DOI: 10.1016/j.uclim.2017.07.007).
Yang, J., M.S. Wong, M. Menenti, J. Nichol, J. Voogt, E. Scott Krayenhoff, P.W. Chan, (2016) Development of an improved urban emissivity model based on sky view factor for retrieving effective emissivity and surface temperature over urban areas. ISPRS J. of Photogram. Rem. Sens. 122: 30-40.
Huang F., W. Zhan, J. Voogt, L. Hu, Z. Wang, W. Ju, J. Quan, (2016) Temporal upscaling of surface urban heat island by incorporating an annual temperature cycle model: A tale of two cities. Remote Sensing of Environment, 186: 1-12.
Hu L., A. Monaghan, J.A. Voogt, M. Barlage, (2016) A first satellite-based observational assessment of urban thermal anisotropy. Remote Sensing of Environment, 181: 111-121.
Sims, A.W., C.E. Robinson, C.C. Smart, J.A. Voogt, G.J. Hay, J.T. Lundholm, B. Powers and D.M. O’Carroll, (2016) Retention performance of green roofs in three different climate regions. Journal of Hydrology, 542: 115-124.
Srivastava, A.K., J. Voogt, S. R. Kshirsagar and K. Srivastava, (2016) Heat islands over Mumbai as revealed by autorecorded thermograph data. J. Earth Syst. Sci. 125(1): 85–93.
Krayenhoff, E.S. and J.A. Voogt, (2016) Daytime thermal anisotropy of urban neighbourhoods: Morphological causation. Remote Sensing, 8(2): 108.
Adderley C., A. Christen, J.A. Voogt, (2015) The effect of radiometer placement and view on inferred directional and hemispheric radiometric temperatures of an urban canopy. Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, 8: 2699-2714.
Yang, J., Z. Wang, F. Chen, S. Miao, M Tewari, J.A. Voogt, S. Myint, (2015) Enhancing hydrologic modeling in the coupled Weather Research and Forecasting-Urban modeling system. Boundary-Layer Meteorology, 155(1): 87-109.
Quan, J., Y. Chen, W. Zhan, J. Wang, J. Voogt, J. Li, (2014) A hybrid method combining neighborhood information from satellite data with modeled diurnal temperature cycles over consecutive days. Remote Sensing of Environment, 155: 257-274.
Quan, J., Y. Chen, W. Zhan, J. Wang, J. Voogt, M. Wang, (2014) Multi-temporal trajectory of the urban heat island centroid in Beijing, china based on a Gaussian volume. Remote Sensing of Environment, 149: 33-46.
Zhan, W., J. Zhou, W. Ju, M. Li, I. Sandholt, J.Voogt, C. Yu, (2014) Remotely sensed soil temperatures beneath snow-free skin-surface using thermal observations from tandem polar-orbiting satellites: An analytical three-time-scale model. Remote Sensing of Environment, 143: 1-14.
Zhan, W., Y. Chen, J. Zhou, J. Wang, W. Liu, J. Voogt, X. Zhu, J. Quan, J. Li, (2013) Disaggregation of remotely sensed land surface temperature: Literature survey, taxonomy, issues, and caveats. Remote Sensing of Environment, 131: 119-139.
Chapters in Books
Voogt, J.A. (2017) Urban Climate. In: Richardson, D., N. Castree, M.F. Goodchild, A.L. Kobayashi, W. Liu, R. Marston, The International Encyclopedia of Geography, John Wiley & Sons and American Association of Geographers, 1-14 (Invited).
Voogt, J.A. (2014) Urban Heat Islands and Effects. Encyclopedia of Natural Resources, Volume 2. CRC Press, Taylor and Francis, Group (Invited).
Voogt, J.A. (2010) Urban Climate. In: Encyclopedia of Urban Studies (Ed. Ray Hutchison), SAGE Publications: Thousand Oaks, CA, 848-853. (Invited).
Grimmond, C.S.B., M. Best, J. Barlow, A. J. Arnfield, J.-J. Baik, A. Baklanov, S. Belcher, M. Bruse, I. Calmet, F. Chen, P. Clark, A. Dandou, E. Erell, K. Fortuniak, R. Hamdi, M. Kanda, T. Kawai, H. Kondo, S. Krayenhoff, S. H. Lee, S.-B. Limor, A. Martilli, V. Masson, S. Miao, G. Mills, R. Moriwaki, K. Oleson, A. Porson, U. Sievers, M. Tombrou, J. Voogt, and T. Williamson 2009 'Urban Surface Energy Balance Models: Model Characteristics and Methodology for a Comparison Study' in Meteorological and Air Quality Models for Urban Areas ed A. Baklanov et al. (Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg) 97-123 (DOI 10.1007/978-3-642-00298-4_11).