Contact InformationOffice: Room 2402, SSC
Tel: 519 661-2111, 85017
Remote Sensing and GIS
- Algorithms for automatic linear and other man-made feature detection from images
- Methods for GIS feature extraction and lane use/cover change detection in urban environment using multispectral and hyperspectral data
- Methods for object oriented information extraction from high resolution remotely sensed imagery
- Applications of radar/optical remote sensing and GIS for environmental change analysis near large rivers/mountains and in marsh and mangrove wetlands
GEO 2230 – Remote Sensing
GEO 3231 – Advanced Topics in Remote Sensing
GEO 9110 – Introduction to Geographic Information Systems
GEO 9418 – Remote Sensing Digital Image Analysis
Supervised Graduate Students and Theses Titles
- N. Ghasemian (joint-supervised) (Current) Target detection/ Change detection/ Data fusion
- Y. He (Current) Using the appliction of remote sensing in urban areas
- D. Kpienbaareh (joint-supervised) (Current) Using Remote Sensing and Public Participatory Geographic Information Systems to understand crop diversity and yield estimation for food security in Malawi
- B. Shan (Current) Understanding spatial variations in soil and crops using Precision Agriculture
- Y. Song (2020) Using of UAV-based Optical and Thermal Imagery on the Estimation of within-field Soil and Crop Parameters for Precision Farming
- B. Feng (2018) Tensor-based Hyperspectral Image Processing Methodology and its Applications in Impervious Surface and Land Cover Mapping
- C. Liao (2018) Crop monitoring and yield estimation using polarimetric SAR and optical satellite data in southwestern Ontario
- X. Huang (2016) Application of Polarimetric SAR for Surface Parameter Invasion
- C. Zeng (2014) Automated Building Information Extraction and Evaluation from High-resolution Remotely Sensed Data
- F. Flores de Santiago (2013) Multiple approaches for assessing mangrove biophysical variables using in situ and remote sensing techniques
- Z. Chen (2007) Land Use/Cover Change Detection in the Three Gorges Area
- Q. Zhang (2002) Spatial, spectral and temporal analysis of urban landscape dynamics using optical satellite data
- R. Kwik (joint-supervised) (Current) Age estimation of galaxies by the application of Geographic Information Systems and Remote Sensing
- J. Yu (Current) Analyzing crop nutrients using spectral remote sensing
- H. Lee (2020) Canopy Nitrogen Weight Retrieval from UAV imagery for wheat and corn fields
- M. Roffey (2019) Tree identification using hyperspectral imagery and lidar
- X. Sun (joint-supervised) (2019) Geospatial analysis of urban sprawl for the City of Toronto
- P. Crawford (2018) Effects of Aerial LiDAR Data Density on the Accuracy of Building Reconstruction
- I. Pritchard (joint-supervised) (2016) Automated Impact Crater Detection and Characterization Using Digital Elevation Data
- Y. Song (2016) Evaluation of the UAV - Based Multispectral Imagery and Its Application for Crop Intra-Field Nitrogen Monitoring and Yield Production in Ontario
- A. Gambles (2015) Integration of Multi-Temporal and L-Band Synthetic Aperture RADAR (SAR) Imagery for Hierarchical Agricultural Crop Classification in Northeastern Ontario, Canada
- Q. Ma (2013) Potential of RADARSAT-2 Polarimetric Data for Land Use and Land Cover Classification and Crop Monitoring in Southwestern Ontario
- T. Zhao (2013) Object-based Urban Building Footprint Extraction and 3D Building Reconstruction from Airborne LiDAR Data
- N. Lantz (2012) Detection and mapping of Phragmites australis using high resolution multispectral and hyperspectral satellite imagery
- B. Lehrbass (2010) Object-based Urban Tree Cover Extraction from High Spatial Resolution Optical and LiDAR Imagery: Techniques and Data Integration
- D. Aldred (2007) Rooftop Identification from Spaceborne Remote Sensing Images
- Q. Tan (2007) CHRIS-PROBA Hyperspectral Data for Urban Studies in Beijing
- C. Gilby (2005) Application of remote sensing and a geographic information system (GIS) for monitoring plant invasiveness in the wetlands of Walpole Island, Ontario
- D. May (2004) Mapping wetland extent and condition from IKONOS satellite imagery of the O'Donnell Point region, Georgian Bay, Ontario
- J. Tian (2004) Extraction of urban man-made features from high resolution remotely sensed data
- Z. Chen (2003) Application of GIS to landslide hazard mapping: A case study in southern MacKenzie Valley
- X. Peng (2002) Use of stereo radarsat data and the derived DEM for landcover mapping in a mountainous are of Southern Argentina
- S. Arzandeh (2001) Evaluation of radar and optical satellite imagery for wetland mapping and change detection in Walpole Island, Ontario
Boyu Feng and Jinfei Wang. Evaluation of Nonnegative Matrix Factorization-base methods for impervious surface area extraction from simulated EnMAP imagery. Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing. 2018.
Zhaohua Chen, Jinfei Wang and Xiaodong Huang. Land subsidence monitoring in Great Vancouver region through a synergy of INSAR and polarimetric analysis. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing. 2018.
Chunhua Liao, Jinfei Wang, Xiaodong Huang and Jiali Shang. Cropland classification using multi-temporal RADARSAT-2 data with random forest classifier in southwestern Ontario, Canada. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing. 2018.
Chunhua Liao, Jinfei Wang, Ian Pritchard, Jiangui Liu and Jiali Shang. A spatio-temporal data fusion model for generating NDVI time series in heterogeneneous regions. Remote Sensing. 9(11), pp. 1125. 2017. DOI: 10.3390/rs9111125.
Chunhua Liao, Jinfei Wang, Jiali Shang, Xiaodong Huang, Jiangui Liu and Ted Huffman. Sensitivity study of Radarsat-2 polarimetric SAR and crop height and fractional vegetation cover of corn and wheat. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 39(5), pp. 1475-1490. 2017. DOI: 10.1080/01431161.2017.1407046.
Xiaodong Huang, Jinfei Wang, Jiali Shang, Chunhua Liao and Jianqui Liu, Application of polarization signature to land cover scattering mechanism analysis and classification using multi-temporal C-band polarimetric RADARSAT-2 imagery. Remote Sensing of Environment. 193, pp. 11-28. 2017.
Qi Jing, Budong Qian, Jiali Shang, Ted Huffman, Jiangui Liu, Elizabeth Pattey, Taifeng Dong, Nicolas Tremblay, Craig F. Drury, Bao-Luo Ma, Guillaume Jego, Xianfeng Jiao, John Kovacs, Dan Walters and Jinfei Wang, Assessing the options to improve regional wheat yield in eastern Canada using the CSM-CERES-Wheat model. Agronomy Journal. Vol. 109, No.2, pp. 510-523. March 2017.
Zhenpei Li, Jinfei Wang, Robert Brook, Achim Kamelger, Roderick Easton. Promoting Data Requirement for the Oil & Gas Pipeline Integrity Management Using Pipeline Data Model. Oil Gas European Magazine. 42(2), pp. 86-90. 2016.
Zhenpei Li, Jinfei Wang, Robert Brook, Penghui Ren. Independent 3D pipeline-data model improves integration, Oil & Gas Journal. August 2016.
Quan, Jinling, Wenfeng Zhan, Yunhao Chen, Mengjie Wang, and Jinfei Wang. Time series decomposition of remotely sensed land surface temperature and investigation of trends and seasonal variations in surface urban heat islands. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres. 2016.
Dong, Taifeng, Jiangui Liu, Budong Qian, Ting Zhao, Qi Jing, Xiaoyuan Geng, Jinfei Wang, Ted Huffman, and Jiali Shang. Estimating winter wheat biomass by assimilating leaf area index derived from fusion of Landsat-8 and MODIS data. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation. 49, pp. 63-74. July 2016.
Xiaodong Huang, Jinfei Wang and Jiali Shang. An Adaptive Two-Component Model-Based Decomposition on Soil Moisture Estimation for C-Band RADARSAT-2 Imagery Over Wheat Fields at Early Growing Stages. IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters. 13(3), pp. 414-418. March 2016.
Xiaodong Huang, Jinfei Wang and Jiali Shang. An integrated surface parameter inversion scheme over agricultural fields at early growing stages by means of C-band polarimetric RADARSAT-2 imagery. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing. 54(5), pp. 2510-2528. May 2016.
Chuiqing Zeng, Stephen Bird, James J. Luce and Jinfei Wang. A Natural-Rule-Based-Connection (NRBC) method for river network extraction from high resolution imagery. Remote Sensing. Vol.7, 14055-14078. October 2015. DOI: 10.3390/rs71014055.
Xiaodong Huang, Jinfei Wang and Jiali Shang. Simplified adaptive volume scattering model and scattering analysis of crops over agricultural fields using the RADARSAT-2 polarimetric synthetic aperture radar imagery. Journal of Applied Remote Sensing. Vol. 9, No.1. July 2015. 096026. DOI: 10.1117/1.JRS.9.096026.
Jiali Shang, Jiangui Liu, Ted Huffman, Budong Qian, Elizabeth Pattey, Jinfei Wang, Ting Zhao, Xiaoyan Geng, David Kroetsch, Taifeng Dong and Nick Lantz. Estimating plant area index for monitoring crop growth dynamics using Landsat-8 and RapidEye images. Journal of Applied Remote Sensing. Vol. 8, No.1. November 2014. 085196. DOI: 10.1117/1.JRS.8.085196.
Jinling Quan, Yunhao Chen, Wenfeng Zhan, Jinfei Wang, James Voogt, Jing Li. A hybrid method combining neighbourhood information from satellite data with modeled diurnal temperature cycles over consecutive days. Remote Sensing of Environment. Vol. 155, pp. 257-274. December 2014.
Jun Zhang, Peijun Li and Jinfei Wang. Urban built-up area extraction from Landsat TM/ETM+ images using spectral information and multivariate texture. Remote Sensing. Vol. 6, pp. 7339-7359. August 2014. DOI: 10.3390/rs6087339.
Wei Ye, Hanping Hong and Jinfei Wang. Comparison of spatial interpolation methods for extreme wind speeds over Canada. Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering. August 2014. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000429). 04014095.
Chuiqing Zeng and Jinfei Wang, Wenfeng Zhan, Peijun Shi and Autumn Gambles. An Elevation Difference Model for building height extraction from stereo-image-derived DSM. International Journal of Remote Sensing. Vol. 35, No.22, pp. 7614-7630. November 2014.
Cheng Qiao, Jinfei Wang, Jiali Shang and Bahram Daneshfar. Spatial relationship assisted classification from high-resolution remote sensing imagery. International Journal of Digital Earth. Published online, 1-17. June 2014. DOI: 10.1080/17538947.2014.925517).
Jinling Quan, Yunhao Chen, Wenfeng Zhan, Jinfei Wang, James Voogt, Mengjie Wang. Multi-temporal trajectory of the urban heat island centroid in Beijing, China based on a Gaussian volume model. Remote Sensing of Environment. Vol. 149, No. 6. pp. 33-46, June 2014.
Chuiqing Zeng, Ting Zhao and Jinfei Wang. A multicriteria evaluation method for 3-D building reconstruction. IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensign Letters. Vol. 11, No. 9. pp. 1619-1623, Sept 2014.
Ting Zhao and Jinfei Wang. Use of LiDAR Derived NDTI and Intensity for Rule-based Object-oriented Extraction of Building Footprints. International Journal of Remote Sensing. Vol.35, Issue 2. pp. 578-597. January 2014.
Zhou, J., Chen, Y., Wang, J., Wang, Y. and Zhan, W. (submitted) Modeling the diurnal variations of surface urban heat island (UHI) with multi-source satellite data. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing.
Chuiqing Zeng, Jinfei Wang and Peijun Shi. A Stereo Image Matching Method Assisted by Building Footprints to Improve the DSM Quality on Buildings. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing. Vol.39, No.4. pp. 308-317. October 2013.
Nicholas J. Lantz and Jinfei Wang. Object-based Classification of Worldview-2 imagery for mapping invasive common reed, Phragmites australis. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing. Vol. 39, No. 4. pp. 328-340. November 2013.
Wenfeng Zhan, Yunhao Chen, Ji Zhou, Jinfei Wang, Wenyu Liu, James Voogt, Xiaolin Zhu, Jinling Quan, Jing Li. Disaggregation of remotely sensed land surface temperature: Literature survey, taxonomy, issues, and canveats. Remote Sensing of Environment. Vol. 131. pp. 119-139. April 2013.
Yi Ge, Wen Dou, Zhihui Gu, Xin Qian, Jinfei Wang, Wei Xu, Peijun Shi, Xiaodong Ming, Xin Zhou and Yuan Chen. Assessment of social vulnerability to natural hazards in the Yangtze River Delta, China. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment. Vol. 27, Issue 8. pp. 1899-1908. 2013.
P. Wang, Q. Ma, J. Wang, W. Hong, Y. Li, and Z. Chen. An Improved SAR Radiometric Terrain Correction Method and its Application in Polarimetric SAR Terrain Effect Reduction. Progress in Electromagnetics Research B. Vol. 54. pp. 107-128. 2013.
Chuiqing Zeng, Jinfei Wang, and Brad Lehrbass. An Evaluation System for Building Footprint Extraction From Remotely Sensed Data. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing. Vol. 6, No. 3. pp. 1640-1652. 2013.
Chapters in Books
Chen, Z. and Wang, J. 2010 'Remote Sensing Monitoring of Land Use and Land Cover Change Along Yangtze River, China' in River Basin Dynamics ed D. Higgitt and X. Lu.